At Broadbottom CE (VC) Primary we aim to ensure that every child has a minimum of 2 hours Physical Education each week delivered by specialist sport coaches employed by Active Tameside.
We have chosen Active Tameside, because they provide a high-quality physical education curriculum, inspiring all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. This offers opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect. The programme fully integrates the national curriculum for physical education and aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities,
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time,
- Engage in competitive sports and activities,
- Lead healthy, active lives,
- Understand the purpose of good nutrition values.
Through the PE curriculum, pupils will develop physically, socially, emotionally and creatively. They will have good physical literacy to be able to lead a healthy, active lifestyle.
We are proud of the offer at Broadbottom, with 120 minutes of sport each week for every pupil, which exceeds the DFE bronze level recommendation of 90 minutes. In addition, we also provide 3 hours of after school club sport activities and to compliment a healthy living approach, a nutrition club is delivered by a staff member with a nutrition degree.
At Broadbottom CE (VC) Primary, Active Tameside to deliver sport, dance, swimming and gymnastics.
Active Tameside has successfully supported PE and school sport in the majority of Tameside schools for over 20 years. The programme engages over 11,000 young people each week within the school setting or in one of our Active centres across Tameside.
The main areas of the Active Education programme are as follows:
- PE – Coaches in Schools programme
- Bikeability – road safety cycling programme
- School swimming – curriculum
- Healthy eating and family cooking programmes
- Mental health and physical activity programmes
- Little Bikers – early years Pre-pedal programme
- British Cycling – Go-ride school and community programme
- Fuel 4 Fun Plus
We are member of the following sports partnerships: